Pages

Monday 4 February 2013

Soulful Sessions

The holidays are coming to an end but never fear for The Weekly Stew will continue to delight your senses with our array of musical treats. What Doyal failed to mention was that the blog was only late two weeks ago because he forgot to write his post....yeah stop slacking Doyal! 

This time last year I was in Melbourne at Laneway festival partying like a crazy person...to this day that is still one of the best experiences of my life so if you ever happen to be in Australia at the beginning of February then go along and partake in the fun! They really do have the best new bands every year!

With that said it is now time for the playlist to begin

1. Bahamas - Lost In the Light

We start off this week with a little bit of a slower number that has soul in abundance. This slow burner from 'Bahamas' is a delight for the ears and always manages to take me to the idyllic place where the sun is shining and I'm lazing my day away on a beautiful beach just watching the world go by my little slice of paradise. 'Bahamas' is the solo project of Afie Jurvanen, a Toronto based musician who used to sing backing vocals and play the keyboard for 'Feist'. Oh boy am I glad that he decided to do a solo project because I love his music! It even has a little bit of 'M.Ward' in it's melodies. Enjoy.


2. Elliphant - Down On Life

Enter the electro-indie-reggae-pop section of this playlist! Yes that was an extended musical tag, it's my blog so I'm allowed to do that! That's not all though, this is all brought t you by a fire breathing, real-life Swede who has been transforming the world, at least a small portion of it, with her infectious beats and fusion of reggae into Scandinavian pop. The rhythm of this song constantly shifts from dub to needling sonar pips and back again. All I can say is, that in a really weird way this song works. It just seems to grab your attention and yank you in. Let me know what your take on it is.


3. Tame Impala - Mind Mischief

It is no secret that I love Tame Impala, actually it's getting closer to worshiping the Aussie gents as they release gem after gem of their psychedelic magic! Yet again they have created something beautiful with 'Mind Magic'.I know that everyone says it, but they really do sound like 'The Beatles' of today, it's a big claim but they haven't let their fans down yet! This latest video is a little weird and should carry a parent advisory for it's content. It takes a new angle on the common story of a student falling in love with his teacher, but it has quite a twist which you will have to watch to see! 


4. Yukon Blonde - Wind Blows

'Yukon Blonde' could only be from one place on Earth with a name like that, the Canadian quartet have been making music together since 2005. These Indie Rockers play a style of music that is easy on the ears yet fills the soul. Wow I seem to be very soulful today. When I hear this song I just feel that their music is so honest and pure that it really makes the sun seem to shine brighter and the worries melt away. One could even say that they have a retro rock sort of sound which has been winning them numerous fans the world over. Now let 'Yukon Blonde' take your worries away.


5. Now, Now - Thread

This week we end off with something a little more rough around the edges, buzz saw guitars and stellar base riffs lead the way as the indie- rock 3 piece that is 'Now, Now' minister to us in their own special way. 'Now, Now' are special in the fact that both their lead singer and their guitarist are females, I think that is rather epic! it really gives them a unique sound that seems to slam you in the face as the song starts off with a wall of sound, then develops into vulnerable verse and yet another powerful chorus. It is well worth a listen!



Bonus Track!

6. Kings Of Leon - My Party

I thought that I would leave you with one of my favourite KOL songs, I really cannot understand why it was never released as a single by the band! I can literally sing the chorus of "She's at my party" at the top of my lungs all day long! Seriously though, it is without doubt one of their best songs! I only do this because I love you all enough to share it with you!


I hope that you all enjoyed this week's playlist and that I will see you all here again next week for another helping of Stew. Don't forget to vote for your favourite track on the top right hand side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment