Pages

Monday 5 November 2012

The Suburbs

Hey Everybody! Another week has flown by and its already time for you to get some Stew in your lives once more! As calculated from your votes, the favorite track of last week's post came from 'Everything Everything'...seems that you guys can't get enough of the indie rockers either! If you didn't vote and your favorite didn't win then you only have yourself to blame!

This week's post is going to be a bit of a shorter one, firstly because I got told that I may have gone on a little bit too long last week (sorry for that), and secondly because I am in the middle of exams and as much as I love writing for you guys every week I just can't afford to take too much time on this! Next week's post is going to be a special 'study music' edition so to help me out I need you to comment with your favorite songs to study too and who knows, your song may make it onto next week's post so comment like crazy!!

For this week I have gone through some of my favorites from years past that everyone should know and a couple of amazing new tracks so I trust that you will enjoy the collection!

1. Givers - Up Up Up

Givers are an indie pop group (never had one of those on the blog before!) from Lafayette, Louisiana who have some of the most ridiculous accents I have ever heard. Ridiculously cool, that is. I know this because I was lucky enough to watch them live in Australia in February this year. The band is super genuine and they really do make music that just puts a huge smile on your face...two people were bickering as they started their set and within minutes they were best of mates as 'Givers' just spread the infectious joy that comes with their music. The band has managed to create a real good vibe around themselves and they are perfect to listen to after a long day of work or studying as they are just so damn happy all of the time! I may have a small crush on the lead singer's voice, she is fantastic! Ok I will leave it there and let 'Givers' minister their happy vibes to you!




2. Arcade Fire - Ready to Start

If you have never heard of Arcade Fire then I feel sorry for you! Arcade Fire are about as close to  perfect as a band can get, although my opinion may be slightly biased. OK a little back story on Arcade Fire; they are a band from Montreal, in Canada, and have had numerous members but one thing that has remained constant is the husband and wife duo of Win Butler and RĂ©gine Chassagne who have to be up there with the greatest husband-wife duo of our time! They released their first album in 2004 to critical acclaim and that album is still on high rotation in my car. Since then they have just gone from strength to strength with their blend of indie rock and art-pop, some people find their music slow and sad but I find it truly amazing...it reaches the soul of a person and they play a game of tennis with your emotions! Each Arcade Fire album is an experience of the highest order that is not to be missed! Their latest album 'The Suburbs' won pretty much every award there was out there for a band to win, it was spectacular! This particular track is taken off that album, I really reccomend that you listen to the full album though from start to finish. If there is one thing you ever take from this blog it should be that you need to listen to more Arcade Fire! I really can't do them justice so go listen!



3. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

You need to listen to more of them so here is another one of their songs!




4. The Rubens - Lay It Down

The next track this week comes from an Aussie band. 'The Rubens' play a concoction of Blues, Soul and Rock. I really fell in love with them from the first time I heard this track last year, it is just so full of soul and feel. It really is amazing that these guys are so young as they sound so mature and wise to the follies of life! I wasn't the only one who fell in love with them apparently because they are in the process of opening up for the Black Keys as they tour around Australia! How rad is that?? They get to open for one of the greatest bands in the world, that's not a bad way to spend your life! Over to The Rubens now, let them Lay it Down for you...



5. The Cast Of Cheers - Family

What a name for a indie/math rock band from Ireland! They certainly didn't take the easy way out when naming their band! Name aside, these guys are great, they are different, they are fresh and they like to have fun. I have only heard things that will make me love them so far! These guys are VERY indie and if you like Foals then you will probably enjoy these guys as well! I must say that these guys would make it close to the top of my list of bands to watch in the future! They are on the cusp of doing great things! 'Family' is one of their best tracks and it's music video uses some really cool stop animation to great effect! Go on and get your fix!


6. The Strokes - Last Nite

Now we get to the kings of cool themselves, the men who lead the trend of musicians into wearing leather jackets and skinny jeans once more, it can only be The Strokes. When these guys burst onto the scene in 2001 they heralded a new age for guitar rock and roll, they single handedly revived the garage rock scene and their debut album is still considered one of the greatest albums of this century (Yes I know that its only been 12 years). My brother-in-law introduced me to them around 7 or 8 years ago and to this day I am so thankful that he did, these are the guys who really helped to shape my love for music. The combination of distinctive vocals from Julian Casablancas and epic guitar, drum and bass work done by the rest of the band just made these guys one of my ultimate bands. They have it all; style, taste, talent and a penchant for making top class rock 'n roll! I have put in one of their first songs 'Last Nite' (Still one of the best songs ever written) and one of their newer songs 'You Only Live Once' because I couldn't quite choose which one to put in! Enjoy!


7. The Strokes - You Only Live Once




OK so after planning for this to be a short post it seems to have gone on for longer than usual! Don't forget to vote for your favorite and to COMMENT with your favorite songs to study to! Just do it and I will see you next week!

1 comment:

  1. i've had 'family' on repeat for the last 24 hours - such a tune!

    ReplyDelete