Pages

Monday 10 September 2012

Spring Souffle

Well hello there all you beautiful people, I'm assuming that you are beautiful since you are reading this blog...I think that its a fair assumption to make. Its Monday again, thus time to give all of you stew-dents (Thanks Doyal) a fresh lesson on what makes me, and soon you, begin to jive and come alive.

This week I have included a few of my favorites from the last few years as well as a little English treat for you to have for pudding. Ok who else is impressed with how I've managed to keep the food associations going? I'm certainly proud of myself (Somebody has to be). 

A little forewarning, next week's post will only be released on Tuesday because I have a hectic weekend of tests that ends on Monday night, oh the joys of studying business science.
 
Now lets get funky...

1. Dog Is Dead - Glockenspiel Song

Since Ushaka marine world had a day where gingers could get in free, I decided that I would also give the gingers a chance to shine, so I chose a band with a ginger in it! The first time I heard these guys was last year, while I was searching for some Bombay Bicycle Club tracks. Its no wonder then that this 5 piece band from Nottingham-shire in England have been called the younger brothers of Bombay Bicycle Club. I had actually forgotten about them until my mate Jason (also a ginger, and a good looking ginger at that) reminded me about them, good call Jase. The band have described themselves as "an original blend of harmonious, indie-pop in the disco, with a cheeky jazz hint" and "uplifting pop for jazz junkies and choir folk". If this doesn't give you an idea of what they are then just think Bombay Bicycle Club but a little bit happier and funkier - funky due to the fact that they have a Saxophonist (You don't get cooler than that). If you still dont have any idea then just go listen to the song and give some love to the gingers afterwards.



2. Chairlift - Bruises

Chairlift are a synth-pop duo from Brooklyn in New York. They play some of the catchiest beats along with some ridiculously tight vocals. I was lucky enough to watch them play in Australia in February and they were amazing. I dont know if I have ever seen a couple of people on-stage make a crowd go as crazy with such chilled-out happy-go-lucky pop music. Bruises is one of their crowning glories, it starts off with the kind of beat that you can't help but bop along to and develops into a veritable vat of happiness that just overflows into your ears. When I listen to them I can't help but think that I'm attending some obscure electronica party thats on a beach. I wonder what they will make you feel? Im predictiing only good things...



3. The Maccabees - Pelican

Another English band and another amazing song. Next up we have some boys from South London. These indie rockers have released 3 studio albums and have a large following over in England. At one stage, The Maccabees were hailed as the next big thing in English Indie music and with 'Pelican' I think that they have managed to start living up to this tag. This really is a song of epic proportions, it grabs your attention from the first bar played and holds it right up until the song fades out. I often can't believe that 4 minutes have gone bye when I get to the end of the song. I may have played this song a few too many times in my car because the CD now contains so many scratches that you cant go 5 seconds without the song skipping. You too will fall in love with these English lads after listening to this.



4. The Zutons - Valerie

The Zutons are without doubt one of the happiest poppy bands that I have ever heard. You cant listen to them without your current mood improving. The 5 piece Liverpudlian (I know right!?) band have been together since 2001, let me rather say that they have been making people happier since 2001. You may recognize this track as one that Amy Winehouse sang. Amy actually covered The Zutons, who wrote the song originally, hardly anyone seems to realize this which actually irritates me quite a bit. This is why I am setting the record straight: The Zutons wrote it first and their version is actually better, or so i think. These guys make me think of a summer holiday down the South-Coast of KwaZulu-Natal, I cant exactly tell you why but I can tell you that it is a very good thing!



5. Two Wounded Birds - If Only We Remain

One guess on the type of music that this band plays? Easy one right, that name gives it away right at the start. These Indie kids are quite new on the block, they are from Kent in England. Just what is in the English water that all of these great bands are emerging from there?? They were found in 2011 by The Drums, another favorite of mine, and were subsequently taken on a European tour to support The Drums that same year. They have recently released their debut album to critical acclaim (deservedly so). 'If Only We Remain' is a beautiful song, the music video is also a goodie. Two Wounded Birds seem to have created such an amazing ambiance here, the combination of electric guitar, synth, vocals and drums work perfectly together to deliver an enticing new sound that has kept me coming back for more. I must have used a good portion of my internet cap listening this this song last month. Go on and get lost in the forest with them aswell...



See you next Tuesday for another helping of Stew!

No comments:

Post a Comment