Pages

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Potato Bake Tuesday


Whatsup everybody! Welcome to another fantastic instalment of The Weekly Stew. I hope that all of you are hungry for some new music and are raring to go for some delectable dessert that will be delivered by a couple of local boys out of the Cape.

Yes I know it's Tuesday and that this is supposed to be a Monday dishing up of Stew, I blame my lecturers for this lateness. For those of you who are worried, this better be all of you, my tests went well. Now it's almost holiday time and I'm in a great chilled mood so this week's songs will be a little more happy and mellow to reflect my current state of mind, if this post had been written on Sunday there may have been some Hardcore tracks in the mix.

OK that's enough waffle (see what I did there?) from me for this week. Its music time...

1. Funeral Suits - All Those Friendly People

Funeral Suits. Right off the bat these Irish boys have an epic name and to go along with that, they make some spectacular music that just puts you into a good mood every time you listen to them. The three piece play a blend of music that has been described as a blend of epic, overdriven guitars, blistering, harmonious pop, art-rock and electronica. I couldn't have squeezed in more tags if I had tried. All i know about these guys is that their music never fails to improve my outlook on life. 'All Those Friendly People' is a winner of a track and from the first chord you are drawn in as the song builds throughout to make it a firm favourite on my itunes playlist.



2. Daughter - Youth

This has got to be one of the most beautiful songs that I have heard in years. Its one that girls are going to love and boys are gonna find it hard to admit that they too, find it fantastic. 'Daughter' is, mark my words, going to be the next big thing on the world stage in the coming years. The duo is London based and have taken over the city with their infectious blend of melodic pop. They masterfully blend fluttering, heart-on-the-sleeve acoustic ballads with brooding, ambient soundscapes. Those are the words of Vogue, so sadly I cannot claim to be that poetic with my English skills, one day I will be able to compose a sentence like that (not today though). Ladies let me know if this song makes you fall in love (I'm betting it does).  



3. The Burning Hotels - Beard

Okay to start off, any song with the title 'Beard' has to be amazing, who doesn't love a good beard? Males love growing them, females love males with them and songs titled by them tend to just be utterly delectable. The Burning Hotels are indie rockers which have their roots in Texas...indie rockers from Texas?? Now I have truly seen everything in the world of music. They actually made an appearance in the movie 'Bandslam' which is really rad, though I'm quite sure that they may be the only good thing to have come out of that movie. 'Beard' is easily my favourite track from them, I could listen to it just to hear the lead singers voice, that man really sings to my soul. The song manages to compliment his stunning voice with some driving riffs from the guitars and some smooth pulses emanating out of the synth for the duration of the song. I'm a fan and once you listen, you will be one as well.



4. Animal Kingdom - Strange Attractor

Its only appropriate since we live in Africa to have a little bit of animal spirit featuring on the blog. Animal Kingdom are actually wannabee animals since they are a British-trio playing alternative port-britpop. I honestly don't just make these tags up, they really exist, soon there will be post-post indie-posterior pop. These guys play some hauntingly good tunes so it only makes sense that 'Strange Attractor' was composed and recorded in an abandoned church in London. This song has one of the weirdest music videos that I have seen for a while, it starts off very chilled and normal with a guy checking some girl out a club, the usual Saturday night story for Dillon Nuss, until at around 70 seconds in where it all goes haywire. You definitely need to see what happens, I'm not going to spoil the surprise.




5. LCTRISC - Sunbird

I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce that name but I thought that I would end off this week with a little bundle of joy (it's the song for those slow ones amongst us). LCTRISC are a Nordic pop duo consisting of Adam "Leslie" Jonsson and Oskar "Lenny" Linnaeus (How cool is it to say Nordic?? That gives them like 500 style points just for being Nordic). I don't have much to say about this song except to tell you that I loved it from the first time I listened to it. It's that good. It also has a pretty quirky and cool music video to take it to the next level of awesomeness.



6. Bicycle Thief - Ammunition

Ah I got you guys, you thought I was going to forget to provide you with your promised dessert, I never forget dessert! Here it is, a little South African ditty. I must say that I am mightily impressed with Bicycle Thief, this is one well put together track that just exudes sickness (sick is good in this case). If I didn't know that the band was from Capetown, I would have thought this was an international band, which is just about the biggest compliment that I can give a South African band these days. 'Ammunition' is a good old rock 'n roll number, which is fantastic. It really is a positive sign of what these boys are capable of. Clean riffs, sweet harmonies every now and then, and some great song progression. Keep an eye out for these guys. On a side note, any band that counts Arcade Fire as an influence, as these guys do, is already in my good books. Take a listen and encourage them to get a music video up for this baby so that we can all enjoy them on MK as well.



That's all from me for this week. I hope you guys ate your fill and will be back for more next week. From next week onwards we are going to have a rating system so that you can choose your favourite track of the week so we can give you more of what you like! See you guys next week in the same place!

No comments:

Post a Comment